Archiving Data Permanently

Ezra Nugroho enugroho at spikesource.com
Thu Aug 18 16:47:13 UTC 2005

I kinda doubt it.

HDs are now built with precisions and standards that are equal or exceed
those of jet engine making. Consider the engineering that people use to
make micro HDs for IPods, etc.

Tape cassettes only use a lot of moving objects. Not only that, the tape
touches it self in the roll, the head of the reader touches the tape.
This means wear and tear. Furthermore, tape is magnetized plastic. They
are less heat resistant.

HD heads now float above the platters, they do not touch the platters at
all. HDs are air tight.

The only advantage that tape has over HD is in shock resistance.
The cassette may break from a drop, but you may still (expensively)
recover the data from the tape, if it is not damaged.