Can 32-bit Linux be installed on 64-bit laptop (and is it a good idea)?

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Thu Aug 18 17:19:17 UTC 2005

Well, all of HP/Compaq 64-bit laptops come with the same graphics card.
When you say no 3D, does that mean no PC games (eve the pre-installed,
simple ones on Fedora?)? What about watching DVDs? This is probably
because nobody bothered to write the drivers yet, right?

As far as exe sizes: if the sizes between 32- and 64-bit versions of the
same exe are less than a factor of 2 apart, that means that not all of the
instructions in the instruction set are 64-bit instructions. I suppose
that's possible. I assumed that once an exe is 64-bit, all instructions in
it were 64-bit. I am happy to be wrong. Would you know an average
difference in exe sizes between 32- and 64-bit? 25%, 30%? If that's the
case, then it's pretty good, if even less then even better.

Thanks.