ClamAV and Sendmail on FC4

Somphol Boonjing newstrack at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 17:56:06 UTC 2005

On 8/19/05, Justin Willmert <justin at jdjlab.com> wrote:
> I need some assistance in setting up ClamAV for Sendmail on an FC4
> system. First of all, when I try to find tutorials online, I find
> everything for FC1 or FC2. When I looked in the extras directory at
> redhat.com, it looks like ClamAV is available for FC4. It seems to have
> been split up into more packages than the single rpm older versions
> dealt with (If I understand this correctly, FC1 and FC2 didn't get their
> rpms from RedHat, did they?). This is question number one: What packages
> do I need to install?
>
> Secondly, I tried to just install some of the packages and do what some
> of the older tutorials told. For some reason, I can never get the milter
> settings into sendmail.cf from sendmail.mc. Here is what I've got in
> sendmail.mc:
>
>     INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav',
> `S=local:/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav.sock, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl
>
> After I put that in, I execute make to recompile sendmail.cf. This is my
> second question: As I understand it, Fedora packaged releases of
> Sendmail contain milter capabilites, so why aren't these settings being
> reflected in sendmail.cf?
>
> My third question is a simple one: Should I use the RedHat rpms, or
> should I find a different rpm from some other source (say rpmfind or
> dag, etc.)?
>
> And my last question (and maybe the most obvious): Is there a good
> tutorial out there somewhere that describes this for FC4 and Sendmail
> (I've found plenty for FC4 with Postfix, but that doesn't help me any)?
>
> Thanks for all of the help in advance,
> Justin Willmert
>
> --

This may not directly answer your question because I have never tried
integrating Sendmail + ClamAV manually.   I usually use MailScanner
www.mailscanner.info/.   Not sure if it will suit your purpose.

clamav is definitely included in either base or extras repository.
With plain FC4, you can do

# yum install clamav

Not sure whether MailScanner is in those repositories, but downloading
and compiling the source is not that difficult.

--Somphol.