Can 32-bit Linux be installed on 64-bit laptop (and is it a good idea)?

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 17:58:00 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:

> On 8/18/05, Reshat Sabiq <sabiq at csociety.org> wrote:

> You should think about more memory, and get a 5400 RPM hard drive if
> you can.  What you might do is get RAM seperately and replace the 256
> MB stick (that way you can get PC3200 rather than PC2700).  More RAM
> in laptops is better, and it is not that expensive (~$130 for 1 GB).
> A 4200 RPM hard drive, especially with that little RAM, will make the
> system seem really slow.  Once things are in memory, though, it will
> fly.  I have an R3000Z which is very similar.

>>http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?series_name=ze2000z_series&catLevel=2&category=notebooks/hp_pavilion&storeName=computer_store

> The only thing I don't like about the specs of that computer is the
> ATI graphics.  You won't have 3D in Linux, but you should be able to
> get most stuff working.  Compare prices with the Compaq version.  It's
> the same thing, just a slightly different package.  HP and Compaq are
> the same now :).  Get the less expensive one unless you just have to
> have black over gray.

I have the Compaq Presario M2105 (M2000) with the Mobile Sempron
2800+. The XP I have has a 64 driver for it (???) but I run it
under Fedora 4 (x86 32bit). I use the normal VESA X driver (1024x
768), I can't get the modem working or the sound card (though FC4
load ATI drivers for it and the mute button stays lit). The USB
works, the LAN port works, the Broadcom card works with the
ndiswraper package. I'd like to get the sound card and modem
working (never know when you need a modem). I have a 40G drive
and 512M ram (32M give to the weird ATI Radeon Expres 200 M).

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)
http://hcs.sourceforge.net/                     (HCS II)