Archiving Data Permanently

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 18 18:08:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Ezra Nugroho wrote:

> I kinda doubt it.
>
> HDs are now built with precisions and standards that are equal or exceed
> those of jet engine making. Consider the engineering that people use to
> make micro HDs for IPods, etc.

Micro-hd's have fairly high tolerances to operating and non-operating
shock. A lot of that can be attributed to extremely low mass. the inertia
of the head when the thing plumments towards the floor then stops
suddently is not enough to overcome the airgap, and thus no headcrash. the
cornice 1.5GB hd in my mp3 player weighs a whole 14 grams. The duty cycle
of microhd's is orders of magnitude lower than that of modern
high-performance disks sold into the enterprise market however, so
asserting that they are higher precision than 133GB per plater 400GB
drives, or 80GB per platter 15krpm disks is a little far from the mark.

> Tape cassettes only use a lot of moving objects. Not only that, the tape
> touches it self in the roll, the head of the reader touches the tape.
> This means wear and tear. Furthermore, tape is magnetized plastic. They
> are less heat resistant.

For long term archiving (eg indefinetly) the expected media life can be a
lot more important than how it holds up under continious use. Different
tape media/transports/technologies have vastly different characteristics
from each other, so it's really not fair to generalize without treating
the difference's between say 4mm and 8mm cassettes and 1/2" carts (carts
have a less torturous tape path and get retensioned every time they're
mounted) or the difference between dlt and and lto (data written to both
sides of the tape, vs one which has long term implications for electron
migration), etc.

> HD heads now float above the platters, they do not touch the platters at
> all.

When unloaded intentionally heads are lifted away from the platter by a
ramp, that probably doesn't apply to all hard-disks that you have in your
possesion, since it's fairly recent. The head is still designed to take of
and land on the disk.

>HDs are air tight.

No actually they aren't. hence the blow hole, and the issues revolving
around condensing moisture, very high humidity has a measurable effect on
the service life of disks...

> The only advantage that tape has over HD is in shock resistance.

Well that's not the only advantange and again, over-generalizes on the
nature of tape. the upfront costs on big tape backup are pretty high, (my
latest tape robot was about $12,000) but in the end the costs on my spread
sheet work about to around $500 per 1TB with an expected service life if
this particular setup in the 5-7 year range. That's much cheaper than disk
is likely to be on the scale that I need it for the long term backups.

These days lots of people are moving towards or already have a mixture of
near-line disk-based backup with long term tape palying a lesser role. a
lot of this depends or your requirements, if you use backups to recover
from mistakes in a multi-user enviromnet, then spooling them of huge tapes
on a daily basis is a pain in the ass and makes short-term
near-line recovery options much more attractive. your disaster recovery
policy, or statutory legal data retention requirements may also make tape
make economic or practical sense.

> The cassette may break from a drop, but you may still (expensively)
> recover the data from the tape, if it is not damaged.

A 1/2 cart is not something to treat like an mp3 player. we don't drop
them subject them to excess heat etc, any more then we do a data-center
full of hard-disks

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu