NFS Doesn't Exist Error

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 18 18:40:18 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Your uids/gids seem out of sync between client and server, i.e. you need
> to synchronize your client's and server's uid/gid system (c.f.
> nsswitch.conf).
>
> I.e. you typically will have to synchonize /etc/passwd and /etc/groups
> and might want to add a network wide passwd/groups system, such as
> nis/yp.

Since you seem knowledgeable, and since this seems to be right
up the alley for this thread, I'd like some advice...

I do contract work at home. I have no real LAN, just one manchine.
But when on occasion I need to go to the office which employs me
we hook up. We do not have synchronized UIDs. I obviously don't
want to use NIS at home (or do I?). Yet, when at their office,
I can't just use NFS to transfer files from my machines to theirs.
I have to use FTP in order to get the UID correct on their machine.

They do not use NIS, they just keep the user names in synch manually.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.