Archiving Data Permanently

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 18 19:13:19 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:
> James Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
>>
>>> I'd say that in my situation, if the data is not needed after 4-5
>>> years we  probably won't need it at all. It's just that we don't want
>>> to just wipe off a desktop machine clean without doing some amount of
>>> archiving. So I'm not worry about longevity.
>>

>> Given the costs of new disks these days, and the fact that disks do go
>> wrong after enough use, do consider just swapping out the hard drive and
>> storing the old one somewhere. And getting more disk space into the
>> bargain...
>>
>> James.
>>

> This is one option that is used around here but there are reports that I
> have heard about HD's that don't like being left alone on the shelf and
> need to be part of a computer or they commit suicide. :)
>
> I don't know if it is true or not.

Many drives left in that condition become victims of stiction.
Since I already made some comments here about my position, I haven't
posted more info, but I highly recommend investigating that word.

> But if long term data retention is important, then checking the data
> from time to time and rewriting the data to new media (which will hold
> more data) may be an option.  Look at the upcoming Blue-Ray as an example.

Sounds like a PITA to me.

> Tape was mentioned earlier which reminds me of a letter I received from
> the Planetary Society about data recorded on data tape but that the
> player necessary to play the tapes was the last and needed major work.
>
> For now I will stick with DVD's and RAR as an option.  At least with
> some corrupted data, I can do a rebuild and get it back.  Of course two
> copies of really critical data is important.

Whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't use a compressed format for
archival purposes.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.