Can 32-bit Linux be installed on 64-bit laptop (and is it a good idea)?

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Thu Aug 18 21:23:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Markku Kolkka wrote:

> Reshat Sabiq kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika torstai, 18.
> elokuuta 2005 20:19):
> > As far as exe sizes: if the sizes between 32- and 64-bit
> > versions of the same exe are less than a factor of 2 apart,
> > that means that not all of the instructions in the instruction
> > set are 64-bit instructions.
>
> "64-bit instruction" does *not* mean that the length of the
> instruction is 64 bits, it means it handles 64 bit data and
> addresses. "32-bit instructions" in x86 aren't 32 bits long
> either.

True, i thought about that after i made the post. So i guess the size
difference is close to a factor of 2 in RISC systems, but in CISC, it's
like to be just about 15-20%.

Anyway, those X driver issues a couple of posts mentioned are scaring me.
It probably means no DVD watching and no PC games. Given that, i think i'm
gonna go for 32-bit laptop for now. I spent enough time setting up my
previous 32-bit box, and even though i wanted to test out 64-bits, i don't
think i can afford it timewise.

Thanks.