ClamAV and Sendmail on FC4

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Fri Aug 19 00:40:45 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 18.08.2005 schrieb Justin Willmert um 23:29:
>

>>Well, after playing around for a while (with versions from Redhat and
>>Crash-Hat), I've finally gotten ClamAV (from Redhat) to work with
>>sendmail, but I'm not really happy with the solution. As it is, I have
>>to manually edit sendmail.cf and add in the InputMailFilter settings. It
>>seems that the INPUT_MAIL_FILTER macro for sendmail.mc is not working
>>correctly. Here is part of my sendmail.mc:
>

> It works correctly, I am pretty sure.
>

>>     INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav',
>>`S=local:/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav.sock, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl
>

> Where do you place that line inside /etc/mail/sendmail.mc? The location
> matters. Place it right after the last "define" statement. The line
> itself is proper.

I did have it near the beginning of the file with all of my other edits
I've made. This is the first one to ever create problems for me, so I
had no idea order mattered that much, but I guess it does make sense
when you think about it. I think I'll more all my other edits toward the
bottom just to be on the save side.
>>     define(`confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS', `clamav')dnl
>

> That line isn't necessary.

This line actually helped me out a bit (I actually got some output
compared to no output without it), but now that I've got my
'INPUT_MAIL_FILTER...' statement in the right place, I don't need it
anymore.

>>Now from what I've figured out so far, the 'define...' line puts
>>something like this into sendmail.cf:
>>
>>     O InputMailFilter=clamav
>

> Yes, and whatever milters you include in your setup, Sendmail will only
> use the one called clamav.
>

>>And from what I've gathered from scowering through a bunch of websites,
>>the 'INPUT_MAIL_FILTER...' line should output this right after the line
>>above:
>>
>>     Xclamav, S=local:/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav.sock, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m
>>
>>...but it doesn't. This is the part I'm not happy about. If I ever make
>>a change to sendmail.mc and recompile sendmail.cf, I'm going to have to
>>go in and add this line again. Could somebody point out why this is not
>>working as it is expected to?
>

> Yes, editing the sendmail.cf is bad, exactly from the reason you mention
> (and some others).
> Be sure you have the rpm sendmail-cf installed. Else you can't create a
> new sendmail.cf file from sendmail.mc modified. "make -C /etc/mail"
> would show you an error then even.
Yes, I do have sendmail-cf installed (don't want to sound arrogant or
anything, but I am at least that competent ;) )

>>Justin
>

> Alexander

Thanks so much for your help Alexander,
Justin