Silly Question - New Login

Lokrin redhat at lokrin.net
Fri Aug 19 01:06:42 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Lokrin wrote:
>

>>  I haven't been following this thread, but what I use from tty1 (vt1,
>>  or whatever) is the following, which I've got aliased to "startx".
>>  This is my home computer and it starts out at init level 5 with kde
>>  on vt7 This command logs me in as root on vt8.
>

> Run "switchdesk kde" from your root account. Running X as root caused me
> problems (wiped out my whole system during testing phoebe), I would
> advise not running an X server as root.

I only run desktop as root for a few things.  Such as the KDE menu editor.  I
can run it as user and it says it is saving and updating system files, but it
never updates.  Also I can run synaptic in it.  Or copy files to a restricted
directory, etc.  Just a few admin things.  Otherwise I use the user GUI all the
time.

> I myself run kdeuser, xfceuser
> and so forth. I login to a terminal and run "switchdesk kde" and
> "switchdesk xfce" for the accounts.

Switchdesk isn't listed in either of my KDE or GNOME menus and I keep forgetting
about that command

>> My two problems
>>
>>  are that I would prefer KDE over gnome - why, since my default vt7
>>  login is kde, does this send me to gnome? - and when I log out of the
>>  session it stops the X session on VT8 totally and doesn't give me the
>>  option of logging in as a different user..
>

> You are not using a login display manager with the startx script, thus
> no login prompt after logout.

Ok, no problem with that, just curious.

>>  startx -- :1 2>devnul &
>>

> Jim

Ok, another question then - Once in a while I'd like to be able to have three
GUIs running - My user, root, and a test account to see what happens without
possibly ruining my regular account or root account.  How would I add the third
GUI?  I've tried
startx -- :2 & but that just gets me another root GUI