hald problems? hald-addon-hid-ups apcupsd selnux

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Fri Aug 19 07:05:27 UTC 2005

John Bray wrote:
> for some time i've been noticing that somehow the system just seems a
> bit sluggish.  one of those kinds of things that you can't quite put
> your finger on, but they keep bothering you.
>
> so. i've been watching top for a while, trying to see if there is
> something that perhaps looks a bit unusual.
>
> i notice that there is an instance of something called
> hald-addon-hid-ups which is eating up about 15% of the cpu ALL the time.
> on an athlog 2200+ cpu.
>
> if i stop the apcupsd service, this process disappears completely from
> the top list (about 20 procs visible).
>
> so.  it seems that it's related to apcupsd talking to the apc ups.
>
> at the moment i'm running selinux in permissive mode.  but, i notice
> some entries from the audit log which are seemingly related:
>
> Aug 17 01:39:08 junior dbus: avc:  denied  { send_msg } for
> msgtype=error error_name=org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchProperty dest=:1.14
> spid=4924 tpid=8091 scontext=system_u:system_r:hald_t
> tcontext=system_u:system_r:cupsd_config_t tclass=dbus
> Aug 17 01:39:11 junior dbus: avc:  denied  { send_msg } for
> msgtype=signal interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager
> member=DeviceRemoved dest=org.freedesktop.DBus spid=4924 tpid=8091
> scontext=system_u:system_r:hald_t
> tcontext=system_u:system_r:cupsd_config_t tclass=dbus
> Aug 17 01:39:11 junior dbus: avc:  denied  { send_msg } for
> msgtype=signal interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager
> member=DeviceRemoved dest=org.freedesktop.DBus spid=4924 tpid=8091
> scontext=system_u:system_r:hald_t
> tcontext=system_u:system_r:cupsd_config_t tclass=dbus
> Aug 17 01:39:11 junior dbus: avc:  denied  { send_msg } for
> msgtype=signal interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager
> member=DeviceRemoved dest=org.freedesktop.DBus spid=4924 tpid=8091
> scontext=system_u:system_r:hald_t
> tcontext=system_u:system_r:cupsd_config_t tclass=dbus
>

> i'm looking for some suggestions, thoughts, advice, help about this.
>
> john

I don't know whether it's the same problem at all, but I've had a
similar sluggish feel to one of my systems.  Finally I was able to fix
it by going into the BIOS setup and changing settings there.  The one
that did it was a bit surprising: give the video card more memory.  The
default was 8 MB of system memory and I gave it 32 instead (the maximum,
I have 1 GB, so there is memory enough).  That worked but caused
different problems.  So I changed it to 16 MB and that is working fine.

HTH

--
Sjoerd Mullender