Services, how does it work?

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Aug 19 10:45:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 11:09:09AM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Matthias Bauw wrote:
> >hi there,
> >
> >I have been using fedora linux for quite some time now and I have
> >been able to build several software programs from source. But sometimes
> >I want that software to start automatically.
> >
> >Therefore I would like to add those programs to the 'services' in Fedora,
> >but I don't see how it is done.
> >
> >Does anyone know a good tutorial that explains how it all works?
>
> You need to write an initscript and put it in /etc/rc.d/init.d. You'll
> find many examples in that directory. You can then configure the service
> to be started automatically (or not) using chkconfig. See "man
> chkconfig" for details.
>
> Paul.
I would just like to emphasize that in order for your initscripts to
work with chkconfig there are lines that must be inserted in the
beginning of the script that makes that possible. Check nay of the
existing scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d to see how that is done.

A man with one watch knows what time it is.
A man with two watches is never quite sure.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484