Services, how does it work?

Rodolfo Alcázar rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
Fri Aug 19 12:29:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 11:39 +0200, Matthias Bauw wrote:
> ...I would like to add those programs to the 'services' in Fedora,
> but I don't see how it is done.

First, you know the story: init starts. You can read in /etc/inittab:

si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

That script runs once on start. Then, on the same inittab, you see

l1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 1

That script runs for each runlevel change. In that script you can see:

for i in /etc/rc$runlevel.d/K* ; do
for i in /etc/rc$runlevel.d/S* ; do

You can see that the first loop executes al K* commands. See that
directories. K stands for kill, and K files are sorted with numbers, to
force preferences. Then S scripts are executed. When you make a
chkconfig, this files are created for every runlevel.

Ok?

Rodolfo Alcazar rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
Netzmanager Padep, GTZ
591-70656800, -22417628
LA PAZ, BOLIVIA

-- Han Solo:
Afraid I was gonna leave without giving you a
goodbye kiss?
Princess Leia:
I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee!
Han Solo:
I can arrange that! You could use a good kiss!