Archiving Data Permanently

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 19 13:23:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 09:47 -0700, Ezra Nugroho wrote:

> I kinda doubt it.

Doubt what?  There was a number of things I wrote in my message, and
your top posting makes your remark totally ambiguous.

> HDs are now built with precisions and standards that are equal or
> exceed those of jet engine making. Consider the engineering that
> people use to make micro HDs for IPods, etc.

Well, jets crash, too.  They're designed by people (all of them), and
people make mistakes.

> Tape cassettes only use a lot of moving objects.

I wasn't thinking of cassettes, I don't think I've even bought a
cassette for over twenty years.  I use equipment far beyond them in my
job.  We use decks that cost $11,000 each, for some things.  Other
people use even more expensive gear.  Quite a lot of engineering goes
into them, not that you'd believe it when you consider some of the
stupid faults we have to deal with.

I read messages from the public lists.