SuperMicro 5013

John Rowan rowan at rownetco.com
Sat Aug 20 00:36:37 UTC 2005

One of my customers was tired of the noise levels from the Proliant
6400R in his office.  He wanted something that would be quieter but also
faster.   TigerDirect sent him an email saying the 3GHz SuperMicro 5013
1U was the device he longed for.  He ordered the 3GHz 1Gigabyte RAM dual
120 gigabyte SATA disk unit since the web site said it worked with
Linux.    I tried installing Fedora Core 4 which said it was successful
but upon rebooting the machine it hung at a GRUB prompt for 30 seconds
then rebooted.  I reverted to RH 9.0 but it doesn't have drivers for the
SATA RAID controller.  I also tried SuSE Pro 9.1 but that also does not
have drivers for this RAID controller.  I've done 9 installs with  FC4,
RH9 or SuSE Pro 9.1 today all failing.  FC4 has drivers for the
controller but after installation it fails to boot.  RH9 and SuSE do not
recognize the drivers I've downloaded from SuperMicro.com.  Does anyone
know where I  can get drivers for RH9 or SuSE, or why the machine hangs
for 30 seconds after reboot with a GRUB prompt on the screen?