SuperMicro 5013

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sat Aug 20 00:58:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, John Rowan wrote:

> One of my customers was tired of the noise levels from the Proliant 6400R in
> his office.  He wanted something that would be quieter but also faster.
> TigerDirect sent him an email saying the 3GHz SuperMicro 5013 1U was the
> device he longed for.  He ordered the 3GHz 1Gigabyte RAM dual 120 gigabyte
> SATA disk unit since the web site said it worked with Linux.    I tried
> installing Fedora Core 4 which said it was successful but upon rebooting the
> machine it hung at a GRUB prompt for 30 seconds then rebooted.

The supermicro 5013 is a chassis, Which supermicro mainboard is actually
in this chassis. It sounds like a single p4 mainboard with sata but that
narrows it down to about half the 5013 variants. rh9 is  going to be too
old by far for this system, the sweet spot for getting it working is going
to be in the fc2-fc4 range (2.6 kernel) once  we know that motherboard
variant and therefore chipset, it would be easier to recomend a course of
action.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu