is it possible to set up a web server on a computer in a local area network?

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Sat Aug 20 03:54:03 UTC 2005

Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, V P wrote:
>
>>> the LAN is linked to the Internet through a router(not a computer).is it
>>> possible to set up a web server in this case?
>>

>> When you say LAN, one assumes it's a private range IP and hence the
>> answer is no.
>

> not true. Your external DNS server will resolve to a different ip
> address than an internal dns server. The external DNS server resolves to
> a public ip address which terminates on your router, which in turn
> forwards to your internal web server, which is on your LAN.
>
> A better direction is to research how to set up a DMZ on your router and
> put your web server in the DMZ

You can also do it without using a DMZ (From what I've heard, doing a
DMZ is a bad idea, but more research into the topic might be a better
idea). Just forward port 80 (for the web server) and 53 (for DNS) to
your internal computer. To get around the internal/external problem,
Bind will allow you to set up what it calls a view, which is essentially
a way to specify different zone files depending on what network the
request is coming from.

If you need any help figuring out how to do this, I could help you out
with your Bind settings ('cause I currently have my server running
successful website/email servers behind a router).

Justin Willmert