Firefox text not centered in boxes

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 13:39:39 UTC 2005

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Often web pages include a graphical box in which some text is supposed
> to be displayed.  And very frequently Firefox does not center this text
> in the box vertically.  The easiest place to see this is in Google maps,
> where the texts "Map", "Satellite", and "Hybrid" are way below center in
> their boxes, part of the text appears outside the box on the bottom, and
> the very bottom part of the text is not displayed at all.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?  Does anyone know a cure?

You can easily make Internet Explorer do this, too.

I'm got access to a WinXP box at the moment. If you, under
"Accessibility", tell IE to over-ride document-specified font sizes,
then increase your font size, then IE won't vertically centre the text,
either. And yes, the bottom part of the text is cut off.

In other words, this site breaks for people with poor sight who use the
standard Microsoft-provided features to make the page accessible.

This isn't just a matter of HTML compliance: it's a matter of making
pages accessible to the disabled.

I've reported this to Google.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "This was, apparently, beyond her ken. So far beyond
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | her ken that she was well into barbie territory."