Time is running way to fast on FC4/FC3-x86_64

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Sat Aug 20 23:38:24 UTC 2005

On Saturday 20 August 2005 05:13 pm, Andy Green wrote:
> On Saturday 20 August 2005 20:45, Johan Lozano wrote:
> > Suddenly I noticed that the clock didn't show the right time on the
> > Has anybody experienced this phenomenal too or is it just on my laptop?
>
> I also have this on a Athlon 64 X2 DFI motherboard with the FC4 x86_64 SMP
> kernel.  Time does not seem to pass at double speed here but it does pass
> faster than realtime.  Sometimes it only gains an hour or so overnight.
>
> I wondered if it was to do with running XP in vmware, I didn't look too
> closely at it yet.
>
> -Andy
The ntp daemon also has a time (drift) adjustment.

>From man ntpd;
      /etc/ntp/ntp.conf  - the default name of the configuration file

       /var/lib/ntp/drift  - the default name of the drift file

       /etc/ntp/keys  - the default name of the key file

Also the kernel has clock throttling for the CPU. This might be affecting the
time, though on non-laptops it is usually a RTC chip.