libc.so.6: Cannot open shared object file: Permission denied

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Sat Aug 20 23:40:01 UTC 2005

After upgrading my Fedora Core 3 machine to Fedora Core 4, I started
getting a really weird problem. During startup I see a lot of messages
of the form:

libc.so.6: Cannot open shared object file: Permission denied

And the system just won't boot properly.

The strange bit is that libc.so.6 is quite definitely there. I can start
up in single user mode and run the shell as well as most (all?) file
utilities etc. (and they all use libc, obviously.) There are, however,
*some* commands that will give the error message indicated above. One of
them is /sbin/kmodule - which I tried executing because I noticed it's
one of the first commands in the boot sequence.

When I run with LD_DEBUG=libs, I notice that /sbin/kmodule will search
through all directories in the path for libc.so.6 - including /lib -
then give up. Commands like cat, ls etc., on the other hand, will fetch
/lib/libc.so.6 directly based on info in /etc/ld.so.cache. Unless I
remove the cache first, in which case these will also search the path up
until /lib, the successufully load the libc.so.6 there.

Does anyone have any idea about what is going on? Why would some
programs be able to open /lib/libc.so.6, others not? HELP!

- Toralf