can NetworkManager ruin wireless?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Sat Aug 20 22:30:10 UTC 2005

    Does anyone know if the NetworkManager being enabled can
set something that isn't undone when the NetworkManager service
is disabled again? I had ipw2200 wireless working with wpa earlier
today but stupidly decided to explore the NetworkManager approach.
Now, despite having the NetworkManager service disabled, I see
error messages...

Aug 20 21:20:02 localhost kernel: ipw2200: failed to send SYSTEM_CONFIG command
Aug 20 21:20:02 localhost kernel: ipw2200: ipw_send_system_config failed
Aug 20 21:20:03 localhost kernel: ipw2200: failed to send SYSTEM_CONFIG command
Aug 20 21:20:03 localhost kernel: ipw2200: ipw_send_system_config failed

when I try to enable the wireless network interface. This is despite having
deinstalled all of the NetworkManager rpms and recreating the wireless
interface. Also I now see a message from the driver...

Aug 20 18:33:53 localhost kernel: ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Aug 20 18:33:53 localhost kernel: ipw2200: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is On:

earlier in the boot process which I didn't see. Linux wireless is
incredibly brittle at the moment.
                              Jack