Few Questions on adding 2nd hard drive??

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Aug 21 05:00:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 18:07 -0500, cajun wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Here is my configuration running this as a home system not critical:
>
> Dell PowerEdge 1600SC with 18gb SCSI HD.  Bought a 160gb EIDE hard drive
> to add in.  I can boot to the SCSI, which is where I have RH9 installed
> and am using right now.  The system see's the hard drive in CMOS and
> also if I run Hardware Browser as Root, Linux sees it as hda.  Here are
> my questions since I have not done anything like this before and would
> appreciate some pointers, Please!!!
>
> 1. Can I leave my SCSI as my boot drive and then use the EIDE drive as
> what ever?

Yes, depending on BIOS.  If it allows you to set scsi as the boot device
then it should work well

> 2. Since I am going to go to FC4 in the next couple of weeks, would it
> be better to wait and just reinstall using the EIDE drive as the first
> drive wipe out the SCSI and use it as needed?

That is your choice. Either way should work.

> 3. If I can leave the SCSI as the first drive can I use fdisk to format
> hda and then use mkfe2, partition it out and them mount it in /etc/fstab?

yes, fdisk to partition, mke2fs to format the partitions, mount as
desired.

> If someone could point me to a  howto or some other reading that would
> be great also.  I have tried googling and searching the archives, but
> have not ran across anything like this.

Use man on the commands I gave above (mount, fdisk, mke2fs ) to see the
details of how they work.