monitoring IP traffic

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun Aug 21 11:22:07 UTC 2005

On 21 Aug 2005 at 11:13, Tony wrote:

> On 8/21/05, Michael D. Setzer II <mikes at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
>     Seems to be a know problem, found some references to it on a
>     google search. I tried building it from source, and it got past that
>     point, but then ends with a segment fault, so something has broken
>     the rpm.
>
> You might want to try Dag's rpm instead. I use it on my centos4.1 desktop at work and it works
> like a charm. I know centos isn't fedora but it's very close. I use a second netword card in that
> machine which has no ip address and isn't ifup'd at boot up. It is cabled to a port on my main
> network switch which then is setup as a port mirror of the port where all our internet traffic heads
> off to the firewall. Using ntop running in promiscuous mode on that second card only, I can see in
> great detail who/what is using our bandwidth- and why- it's a great tool!
>
> http://dag.wieers.com/packages/ntop/

Thanks for the ideal. The dries site has an FC4 version that isn't
working, and dag doesn't have one for FC4, but I just installed the
fc3 version, and then ran ntop, and setup the passoword, and then
started it as a service and it seems to work.
http://localhost:3000.

I've used ntop on previous version RH9, FC1, and FC2, but hadn't
tried installing it on an FC4 machine.

Thanks.

> --
> Cheers,
>
> Tony

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  17,397
Processing time:  31 years, 227 days,  0 hours, 45 minutes
(Total Hours: 277,009)