to yum or apt

Lokrin redhat at lokrin.net
Sun Aug 21 14:41:24 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 11:25 +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
>>Richard Emberson wrote:
>>

>>Haven't tried yumex (yet), just plain yum, but that does make sure
>>everything is right wrt. dependencies etc.
>

> Yes; in fact yum doesn't have provide options to break dependencies,
> unlike rpm itself.
>

>>Apart from that, the way I understand it, apt and yum now use exactly
>>the same "repository" data, i.e. a yum-enabled distribution directory
>>will also work with apt and vice versa. If it uses the current
>>repository format, that is; there used to be different, incompatible
>>formats, then both tools were updated to support a common standard.
>

> I've not heard of any version of apt that can use repo data from any
> version of yum.
>
> Up2date though, can handle old and new yum metadata plus apt metadata.
> Perhaps that's what you were thinking of?
>

>>So you should be able to switch between yum and apt at your whim. Or
>>up2date, which also uses the same distro data.
>

> I believe there are more yum repos available than apt repos, but
> synaptic, which is an apt-only front end as far as I know, seems to the
> best-regarded package management GUI for now (though smart does have its
> advocates).
>
> So if you're familiar with and like synaptic, I'd be inclined to stick
> with it, but you might need to look a bit harder for repos (freshrpms is
> a good place to start, since they have mirrors in apt format of some
> other repos).
>
> Paul.

I just did an apt-get upgrade and it gave me a program called smart.  I'm
running it now.  The first thing it did was to start listing repositories I
didn't have and asking me if I wanted to add them.  Then it gave me three items
to upgrade.  I said yes and it started downloading all three at the same time
with the status line changing as each one progressed.  I'm updating one long
file that is going to take my 56k modem a couple of hours so I don't know how
this will end, but I'll let you know when I find out.

So I now have yum, apt-get, up2date, synaptic and smart.

smart has no man or info listing.  Just type smart by itself and you get a help
list.

Although the gui gives me an error.  How do I fix this?

# smart --gui
error: System has no support for gtk python interface