monitoring IP traffic [many solutions]

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Aug 21 15:32:36 UTC 2005

On Sat August 20 2005 7:36 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> I can't seem to engage my brain on this. It's a simple task on my Windows
> firewall, and I'm sure it's the same on Fedora. I would like to do two
> things, neither of which I have been able to figure out.
> 1) Pull up a log and look at recent traffic - what's passing, what's been
> denied
> 2) Open a window that shows this 'live' - in other words, execute some
> command that leads to the outside world, and watch what the firewall does
> What are the appropriate tools?

First of all, thanks for all the responses. Each utility suggested has unique
features that can be useful in different situations, so I'm working through
each one to learn them.

For nice robust browser GUI based reports, ntop does a very nice job. The fc4
rpm at dries did not work - there are a number of reports of problems with
that package involving buffer overruns. The fc3 package from dag works
perfectly, except for one remaining issue. Whenever I try to administer the
configuration from the web browser GUI, the password dialog rejects the
password. I've reset the password three times now. I've tried using root and
my own user name, which definitely doesn't work. Using ntop as the user and
entering the password I set, also fails. Anyone get this to work?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA