grub ignores my grub.conf

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Aug 21 22:12:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 04:45:17PM -0500, Joel Uckelman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently set up a software RAID1 and since then haven't been able to get
> grub to recognize my grub.conf. Now instead of the splash screen and a list
> of boot options, I just get the grub shell prompt on boot.
>
> After setting up the RAID, I did the following from the grub shell:
>
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)
> root (hd1,0)
> setup (hd1)
>
> which should have installed grub to the master boot records of both drives.
> If I set the root manually at the prompt and point grub to my grub.conf
> using the configfile command, my grub.conf is used and booting goes normally
> from there.
>
> Any ideas about what's going on here?
>
> --
> J.
Why exactly are you saving the grub boot to the MBR of two different
drives? You are also setting the primary root location of your system
in two different places. Only the first two lines should be used in
my opinion (assuming your system boots from hd0). And the any booting
that can be done from other drives would be taken care of by lines in
the grub.conf file.

Truthful, adj.:
	Dumb and illiterate.
Aaron Konstam