SuperMicro 5013

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Aug 22 05:47:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, John Rowan wrote:

> Well, the lack of a workable RAID with Linux, problems with (primary
> application) Pick reporting illegal activation after cold starting the server
> and lack of redundant hot swap power supplies has the SuperMicro / Visionman
> back in the box waiting for an RMA.    I think it was designed more as a
> Windows machine and as an afterthought claimed to run Linux.
> Anyone have a suggestion for a quiet, cool running machine, hot swap hard
> power supplies and hard drives with hardware RAID (preferably compatible with
> RH9 as primary app will not be supported under any release of Fedora Core)?

there is no motherboard I'm aware of with an ata or sata hardware
raidcontroller. (I have a couple compaq ml380's with compaq smart array
controllers on the motherboard but those are scsi).

> The budget allows for only $1,400 US.

serial-ata is not well supported in redhat-9. rhel-3 actually has quite
good serial-ata support for something still built on the 2.4kernel.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu