Rehashing My File Permissions Understanding(or lack of it)

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Mon Aug 22 07:43:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 16:31 +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> upon saving a OOWriter file to /home/nfsshare and giving it 775
> permissions, I expected to be able to open it from another app being run
> as another user, when that user is a member of nfsshare group. Was I
> wrong to even assume this.? The file owner is nfsshare. What am I not
> understanding.? Cheers.

Hi Mark,

If both users are members of the nfsshare group, and /home/nfsshare has
it's group set to nfsshare, then both users should have write access to
the file, as you have set read, write and execute for the group (the
second "7").

For the other user to be able to open the file, they need read
permission to the file, plus read (and perhaps execute - sorry, not
certain here) to the parent directories of the file.

To isolate the issue to just file permissions (not OOWriter), try
running the "file" command against the saved file as the second user,
from a shell.

Eg.  $ file /home/nfsshare/file.sxw

This will at least verify that the other user has read access to the
file.

Also, if /home/nfsshare is NFS mounted, check the permissions on the
mount, using the "mount" command.

Cheers, Ben