libc.so.6: Cannot open shared object file: Permission denied

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Mon Aug 22 09:43:34 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Toralf Lund wrote:

>>> If you have ever booted with SELinux disabled (or share a Linux
>>> partition with a different distro that doesn't use SELinux), you will
>>> have unlabelled files on your system. Accesses to these files from
>>> SELinux-protected apps won't work properly.
>>>
>> So /sbin/kmodule (which didn't work) would be an SELinux-protected
>> app, and ls, cat etc. unprotected?
>>
>> Maybe the problem is that the upgrade I did also enabled SELinux?
>> Seems to me that if it did, it also ought to ensure it installed
>> files with the right labels, though...
>

> If you had explicitly disabled SELinux in FC3, the installer shouldnt
> have enabled SELinux during an upgrade to FC4.If it was enabled
> previously, an upgrade would relabel the filesystem to the current
> active policy.  If you did a policy update in FC4, the filesystem
> might need to be relabelled at times.

I've never disabled it as such, but I haven't ever enabled it, either.
Could it be that it just wasn't there in the past, rather than being
disabled (if you know what I mean)? The FC3 setup was also an upgrade,
you see. Of an upgrade of an upgrade of... Yep, I always use upgrade
install as a matter of principle. Wasting time on continual reinstalls
is a job for users of That Other OS, I think...

> This is probably what was required on your system. See the FAQ on
> policy updates for more details
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/

OK. Thanks. I'll have a closer look.

- Toralf