SuperMicro 5013

John Rowan rowan at rownetco.com
Mon Aug 22 11:38:47 UTC 2005

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, John Rowan wrote:
>
>> Well, the lack of a workable RAID with Linux, problems with (primary
>> application) Pick reporting illegal activation after cold starting
>> the server and lack of redundant hot swap power supplies has the
>> SuperMicro / Visionman back in the box waiting for an RMA.    I think
>> it was designed more as a Windows machine and as an afterthought
>> claimed to run Linux. Anyone have a suggestion for a quiet, cool
>> running machine, hot swap hard power supplies and hard drives with
>> hardware RAID (preferably compatible with RH9 as primary app will not
>> be supported under any release of Fedora Core)?
>

> there is no motherboard I'm aware of with an ata or sata hardware
> raidcontroller. (I have a couple compaq ml380's with compaq smart
> array controllers on the motherboard but those are scsi).
>
>> The budget allows for only $1,400 US.
>

> serial-ata is not well supported in redhat-9. rhel-3 actually has
> quite good serial-ata support for something still built on the 2.4kernel.

I like SCSI, all my servers run SCSI, this was my first exposure to
SATA.  How is the noise level with the ML380?  I am currently working
with Proliant (old) 5000R, 6400R, 6500R and DL760 units and the noise
from the fans is too much to ask someone to have in a small office
environment.

--
John Rowan
Rownetco, Inc.