Securing FC 4

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Mon Aug 22 12:33:05 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 14:57 -0400, AragonX wrote:
> In addition to the problem with complexity, SELinux has licensing issues
> that make it less desirable.   Check here:
>
> http://security.linux.com/security/05/03/11/2313226.shtml

FYI:  NSA's statements on the patent claims by SCC:
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/info/faq.cfm#I22
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=104506496507929&w=2

Also, I believe that the patents in question have expired since the time
of the original dispute with SCC, not that it matters, as the claims
were rejected even while the patents were still live.  A number of
lawyers looked into the matter at the time of the dispute.

SELinux is in the mainline Linux kernel.
SELinux is in Red Hat's distributions among others.
Do you think that the Linux kernel developers or Red Hat would have
touched it if they thought it was encumbered?

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency