FC4 doesn't see NIC Cards

Dave Harman dharman at lin-nett.com
Mon Aug 22 13:32:46 UTC 2005

  I installed FC4 on a Dell Dimension 2400

This machine has 2 NIC cards – one for local network and

one for Internet

For some reason, FC cannot see the NIC cards.

When I examine DMESG, FC4 seems to find each card, identify the

driver, the MAC address of each card, and the IRQ to be used

Also the startup screen shows eth0 and eth1 starting with the green “OK”

But the route commands attempting to use dev eth0 or dev eth1

return “no such device” as an error message and when I try to

ping localhost or a static IP I get the message “network is unreachable”

The cables are plugged into the same hubs that other servers successfully

use.

Does anyone have an idea where I can look for solution?

And if I may be permitted a small rant, I think FC in general is a poor,

poor second to the regular releases we used to get from Red Hat. This is the

second time I’ve installed FC4 on this machine. The first time, the screen

would blink off for no reason, and BIND wouldn’t see the local network.

Now, after the 2^nd installation, the screen behaves itself, but I have
problems with

the network cards.

This stuff is supposed to run – like do useful things? – not be a
project which goes

on and on trying to get it to work. For me, the Fedora Project has "we
don't care" written

all over it.

End of Rant.

Thanks