SuperMicro 5013

Jonathan Horne linux at dfwlp.com
Mon Aug 22 13:45:20 UTC 2005

I never understood this argument of hardware raid and software raid.

To me, software raid is operating system dependant.  Linuxraid partitions,
or Microsoft partitions mirrored across disks.  Load up fdisk, and what do
you see, but 2 or more independent disks.

However, an hp smart array, the logical drive is configured in the bios of
the card.  Why would you call other vendors cards "fake raid" when theirs is
almost the same process?  Just because its not SCSI?  Im not following you
here.

If fdisk shows 1 logical drive drive to work with, and not independent
disks, then why is it fake raid?  Was a software driver loaded to make this
possible?  Is it less reliable?

jonathan