Dyndns and apache

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 22 14:33:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 14:04 +0100, Paul wrote:

> I've set up Apache and it works fine. Problem is this though. If I point
> the browser to http://ctadirect.homedns.org I get the Fedora testpage
> and the logs say that I don't have access to /var/www/html. If I
> add /cta onto the end, I get the site I should get without that
> addition.
>
> My apache.conf file looks like this
>
> ServerName 127.0.0.1:80

That's an odd thing to do.  Not sure if it'll do any harm, though.  And
I seem to recall that you can just leave it out, for the server to work
out the servername itself.

> # Use name-based virtual hosting.
> #
> NameVirtualHost 82.42.51.231:80
>
> <VirtualHost ctadirect.homedns.org:80>
>    ServerAdmin paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
>    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/cta/
>    ServerName ctadirect.homedns.org
>    ErrorLog logs/cta-error_log
>    CustomLog logs/cta-access_log common
> </VirtualHost>

What I understand is that in the <VirtualHost IPaddress:Port> opening
clause, the IP address and port are what the server is listening to for
connections.  If you put a DNS address in there, the server will have to
be able to resolve it to an IP.  Can it?  Are the names resolving
locally?

Also, there's warnings about not putting a trailing slash on the
directory paths for various configuration details.  Try removing that.

Mine are set up thus:

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName  test.example.com
  ServerAdmin test at example.com
  DocumentRoot /var/www/virtuals/test
   and so on....
</VirtualHost>

(I keep my virtual directories outside of the main document root.)

I read messages from the public lists.