Spamassasin bribed?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 17:01:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 08:42, Matt Morgan wrote:

> > I'm just wondering how come that when I get email I'm subscribed to, that
> > occasionally contains a publicity à la "get rich quick", it is promptly
> > junked by spam assasin, but each and every message containing some biblic
> > passages accompagnied by a very dirty photo, gets delivered to my inbox, even
> > though the subject of the message frequently contains "dirty" "slut" "wet
> > pussy" and the likes of that.
> >
> > Anybody know what's going on?
>
> What are the SpamAssassin scores on those messages? SA ranks spam
> according to a lot of different factors, both plus and minus, and
> calls spam spam only if the score passes a threshold you've set.

Spamassassin doesn't know anything about images and a common spammer
trick is to include a paragraph or so of essentially random text
that is hidden from display unless you use a 'view source' option
in your mailer.  This text is used to poison any learning process
you may have enabled for spam and may include words that have negative
sa scores.  If you look carefully, you may also notice that the
keywords you expected to be caught were misspelled or have embedded
spaces or other characters to make sa miss them.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com