Securing FC 4

AragonX aragonx at dcsnow.com
Mon Aug 22 19:12:43 UTC 2005

<quote who="Stephen Smalley">
> On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 14:57 -0400, AragonX wrote:
> FYI:  NSA's statements on the patent claims by SCC:
> http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/info/faq.cfm#I22
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=104506496507929&w=2

Neither of these links provide any real information.  They simply state
what you have said:  "We believe everything to be fine."

> Also, I believe that the patents in question have expired since the time
> of the original dispute with SCC, not that it matters, as the claims
> were rejected even while the patents were still live.  A number of
> lawyers looked into the matter at the time of the dispute.

This may be correct.  I have been unable to determine if the patents are
still active and I'm not interested enough to pay for access to a patient
database.

> SELinux is in the mainline Linux kernel.
> SELinux is in Red Hat's distributions among others.
> Do you think that the Linux kernel developers or Red Hat would have
> touched it if they thought it was encumbered?

Encumbered is a relative term.  And to answer the question with that in
mind, yes I do.

I try to do research when time permits.  If ever there is a question of
legality, I'll try to find an alternative.  Period.