pop-up notices for all gnome users

Paul Keyes paul_s_keyes at yahoo.ca
Mon Aug 22 19:55:49 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I need to create a pop-up window notice to all users
when they log in to their gnome desktop.  I'm using
Fedora Core 3 (kernel: 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc3.ccrma).
Does gnome have a way to do this already?
I couldn't find one so I created my own little app
(c++, gtk) to display the info in a  window and I run
it for all users by adding an appropriate entry to
/usr/share/gnome/default.session
This almost works, but for some reason the gnome
startup display stays open and blocks my window.  If I
click on the "stuck" gnome startup display it
dissapears and I can see my window.  I think this
little bug will confuse users.  Does anyone know a way
around this/why the startup window gets "stuck"?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
--Paul