grub ignores my grub.conf

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Mon Aug 22 20:42:09 UTC 2005

Thus spake Les Mikesell:

> The grub.conf that is actually used is /boot/grub/grub.conf.  What you
> see in /etc is a symlink so you have an easy time finding it to edit.
> There are various ways that the symlink can be broken, so make sure you
> really have what you expect under /boot/grub.  Also, depending on
> how your system handles drive failure, you may or may not want the
> same thing there.  Scsi systems normally move the first working
> drive up to /dev/sda (and shift everything else up so non-labeled
> partitions may be off).  Ide controllers often hang until you remove
> the bad drive and then the system doesn't shift the names unless you
> move the working drive to the primary partition.

The symlink in /etc was fine, but probably also irrelevant, since /boot
is its own partition on my system. I gave it one more go, this time with
grub-install, instead of from the shell, and it worked. I thought that
grub-install did the same thing as what I tried from the grub shell; I'd
even tried grub-install earlier to no effect. Weird.

Thanks for the advice about shifting device names.

--
J.