Problems Installing FC4 iso on Windows

Parag Warudkar kernel-stuff at comcast.net
Mon Aug 22 23:32:49 UTC 2005

Byrd, Robert <rob.byrd <at> york.edu> writes:

> My new 3.2GHz Pentium 4 machine will not boot the FC4 i386
> disc1 from the CD. I checked the sha1sum, made sure that the CD was the
first boot
> priority, and I can see the cd being read during boot. Windows XP still finds
> its way to my computer screen.

Sometimes it takes time for the CD drive to spin up and meanwhile the BIOS
assumes there is no cd and proceeds to next device in the boot order. If your
BIOS provides option for disabling the boot devices (Mine does - Shift+1) try
disabling all devices other than the CD Drive from the boot order. In my case
the BIOS then tries repeatedly to boot from CD Drive which succeeds after a
while.

HTH
Parag