The newgrp command

Richard England rengland at europa.com
Tue Aug 23 06:06:54 UTC 2005

Ben Stringer wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 12:17 +0700, Vidol Loeung wrote:
>

>>Dear All:
>>
>>The newgrp command seems simple to use. However, I could not use it or I did
>>not know how to use it.
>>
>>Could someone please explain me what teh problem is? I was logged in as an
>>ordinary user and type the command:
>>$ newgrp users
>>It asked me for the group password and I entered it but it said: "Permission
>>denied".
>>

>Hi Vidol,
>
>You will need to be the root user to run this command.
>
>Try this:
>
>$ su -
># newgrp users
>
>Cheers, Ben
>

>>Regards,
>>Vidol

I don't believe that is strictly true.  If the userid is included in
several groups, all the user has to do is type in "newgrp <newgrpname>".
However, if the user is NOT member of the group, then they are prompted
for the group password.

Use the command "id" to find out what your primary group currently is,
and the command "groups" to find out what groups your userid is
currently a member of.

--R