Problems Installing FC4 iso on Windows

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 23 11:59:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 18:06 -0500, Byrd, Robert wrote:

> My new 3.2GHz Pentium 4 machine will not boot the FC4 i386
> disc1 from the CD. I checked the sha1sum, made sure that the
> CD was the first boot priority, and I can see the cd being
> read during boot. Windows XP still finds its way to my
> computer screen. (with no bootloader option since there is
> still only one OS installed—WinXP)  I have 50 GB for WinXP 20
> GB of fat32 for crossover files, and left 80GB for FC4. Do I
> need some sort of boot disk in addition to the iso disc1?

If you try to boot from any other CD, does it boot from it?  If not,
there's some problem with your BIOS, perhaps like mine had:  I had IDE
ZIP and LS120 drives, as well as IDE CD-ROMs and hard drives.  It
couldn't work out which was the CD-ROM.  I had to remove some drives to
get an installation to work.

What drives do you have on your system?

I read messages from the public lists.