still no java after fc2->fc4 upgrade

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Tue Aug 23 13:40:54 UTC 2005

    I have one dual Xeon machine which I have upgraded from
FC2 to FC4 which is refusing to pass the java test at...

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

I have tried both the package nosrc rpms for jre 1.5.0 and the
manual installation in /opt. After creating the symlink in
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugin to jre1.5.0_04/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
I see the following failure when loading the test page (using the
open java console menu item in the failed java applet window)...

oad: class testvm.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: testvm.class
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
	... 10 more
Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.showLoadingError(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.showAppletException(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:49: Engine "clearlooks" is unsupported, ignoring

I have tried disabling ipv6 in /etc/modprobe.conf and that doesn't fix the
problem. A clean install of FC4 on a new Dell laptop on the same network
doesn't show the problem. Has anyone else seen this issue and what is the
likely cause and fix?
                    Jack
ps I have used 'yum list extras' to verify that I don't have a lot of
stray rpms installed. So the upgraded FC4 should be close to the clean
install FC4 machine in installed rpms.
                        Jack