mount per user

brouwers roland lx roland at cat.be
Tue Aug 23 14:23:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 17:04 +0530, Ankush Grover wrote:
> On 8/23/05, Ankush Grover <ankush174 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/23/05, brouwers roland lx <roland at cat.be> wrote:
> > > Hello everybody,
> > >
> > > I have a client with a MSserver and a server Fedora3.
> > > On te MsServer every user has a home dir.
> > > I would like to mount his homedir on the MsServer everytime he logs in.
> > > I thought of inserting a line into /etc/fstab
> > > //HisComputer/HisShare  /mnt/MyMount     smbfs     noauto,user 0 0
> > > And put a mount /mnt/MyMount  into ~/.bashrc
> > > and do the umount in ~/.bash_logout
> > > But somehow it does not work.
> > >
> > > Linux refuses to mount as a normal user
> > > so i have to use sudo.
> > > Is there a better way?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Roland
> > > roland at cat.be
> > >

> > One way
> > run smbmount and smbumount with setuid
> >
> > chmod u+s smbmount
> > chmod u+s smbumount
> >
> But ofcourse security problems.
>

> Or you can mention the owner of the home dir  with uid and gid in fstab
>
> //HisComputer/HisShare  /mnt/MyMount     smbfs    uid=515,gid=515 0 0
>
> Now user with uid 515 and group with id 515 has all the rights on
> their home directory.
>
> Regards
>
> Ankush Grover

Sorry for sending you this message directly, but I must have a solution
the latest tomorrow.

I changed this chmod on smbmount
but then I get the message
$ mount /mnt/pcleen
libsmb based programs must *NOT* be setuid root.
22339: Connection to 192.1.1.1 failed
SMB connection failed

You need also to know that the password for Linux and MsServer is
different, because of Lx security.

I installed linneighborhood.
But I do not understand what is happening, in other words, nothing is.
I see the lx Server and his mounts

Que pasa?

Roland