Boot Log

Patrick Nelson pnelson at neatech.com
Tue Aug 23 17:48:44 UTC 2005

Robert Locke wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 12:42 +0100, Rob Kettle wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>anyone know what happened to the boot log messages that we used to get
>>in FC3. They seem to have been lost since upgrading to FC4 ?
>>
>>Are there any plans to get this working again ?
>>
>>Regards
>>Rob
>>

>If you are talking about all those driver messages and then all the
>little "green" OK's, they still exist, they are just hidden.  Take a
>look at your /boot/grub/grub.conf file and you will note a pair of new
>arguments being passed to the kernel "rhgb" and "quiet".  The latter,
>"quiet", suppresses the driver/kernel initialization messages from being
>displayed on the console but can still be viewed after the boot
>in /var/log/dmesg or by running dmesg.  The other, "rhgb" is why we get
>the little blue bar showing the progress of the boot, though you could
>click on "Details" in that window and get your "green OK"'s back....  Of
>course, you could also remove both of those arguments from the kernel
>and things will be as they were...... :-)
>
>--Rob

On all my systems I turn off the rhgb (Red Hat Graphical Boot), while it
looks good I find it kind of annoying if something takes longer than it
wants to wait.  I also turn off the "quiet" and my boot ups are more
like they use to be.  I think the proper direction is to have rhgb and
quiet defaulted on boot though.  Most general users don't like or
appreciate the boot info.  Me on the other hand, need and love the boot
info.