Boot Log

Rob Kettle robk at fisher.co.uk
Tue Aug 23 20:33:18 UTC 2005

Hi

that's useful info but what I actually mean is the messages that used
to be recorded in /var/log/boot.log. These no longer get written at
FC4.

Regards
Rob

Robert Locke wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 12:42 +0100, Rob Kettle wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>anyone know what happened to the boot log messages that we used to
get
>>in FC3. They seem to have been lost since upgrading to FC4 ?
>>
>>Are there any plans to get this working again ?
>>
>>Regards
>>Rob
>>

>If you are talking about all those driver messages and then all the
>little "green" OK's, they still exist, they are just hidden.  Take a
>look at your /boot/grub/grub.conf file and you will note a pair of
new
>arguments being passed to the kernel "rhgb" and "quiet".  The latter,
>"quiet", suppresses the driver/kernel initialization messages from
being
>displayed on the console but can still be viewed after the boot
>in /var/log/dmesg or by running dmesg.  The other, "rhgb" is why we
get
>the little blue bar showing the progress of the boot, though you
could
>click on "Details" in that window and get your "green OK"'s back....
Of
>course, you could also remove both of those arguments from the kernel
>and things will be as they were...... :-)
>
>--Rob

On all my systems I turn off the rhgb (Red Hat Graphical Boot), while
it
looks good I find it kind of annoying if something takes longer than it

wants to wait.  I also turn off the "quiet" and my boot ups are more
like they use to be.  I think the proper direction is to have rhgb and

quiet defaulted on boot though.  Most general users don't like or
appreciate the boot info.  Me on the other hand, need and love the boot

info.

CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED INFORMATION

IMPORTANT: This message is intended for the addressee only and is privileged
and confidential.  If you are not the addressee, then please DO NOT read, copy
or distribute it, but reply to the sender that you received it in error and
delete it.

Thank you.

Fisher Scientific U.K., Limited.

Registered Office: