Removing windows from a dual boot box

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 23 20:53:33 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:

[that he wants to remove Windows from a machine]

> I would just use fdisk to change the partition type to linux,
> and then create a new file-system on it with mkfs.ext3 .
>
> However, although I use Linux 99% of the time,
> I always keep a Windows partition on my machines,
> as it is almost certain to come in handy sooner or later.

I second that. When I call and try to get help with my DSL
connections, they always want to do a bunch of commands
using Windows or MacOS before admitting that there is
a problem with the service, not my setup. If I tell them
I'm using Linux I find things get sticky. Being able to
boot up Windows XP is a big help on these kinds of issues.

> Eg some cards can only be updated under Windows.
> Also, if there is a problem under Linux,
> it is often useful to know if it is hardware or software,
> and a Windows system helps with that.
>
> I do usually shrink Windows partitions, though.

You have found the bank of Larn.