Starting mysql and sendmail

Todd Nine todd.nine at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 22:08:15 UTC 2005

Hi Dotan,

It's been a while since I have done this, but I can give you the 10000 ft
view of what you need to do off of the top of my head.

1. Starting mysql.
If you used the mysql on the fedora disk go to /etc/rc.d/init.d and execute
'su -c "mysql start" ' minus the ' characters. It will prompt you for the
system's root password. Enter it and mysql should start. Note that this will
only work assuming you haven't changed the root password.

2. Adding mysql users and configuring your mail.

I'm a really cheater here, I just use webmin. You can download it at
www.webmin.com <http://www.webmin.com>. You will need to use "yum install
<package name". To install the perl ssl libraries. If you download the
tar.gz distribution and attempt to install it, it will tell you what you
need to get ssl working. You definately want to use ssl, so perform a "yum
search <regular expression>" to search for the correct ssl package.

3. Mailing. I'm not sure about FC4, but FC2 comes ready to work out of the
box. Make sure that you're sending mail through your localhost machine.
Otherwise it won't send mail since relaying is disabled. You want to keep it
this way unless you're really sure what you're doing, otherwise people can
use your server and bandwidth to spam. Also, before you modify anything,
call your ISP and make sure they don't block port 25. It took me 2 weeks to
realize I had a perfect Qmail setup, but SBC blocks port 25 on all DSL lines
unless you request it unblocked. This is again to reduce spamming.

Misc. If you download webmin, I would also recommend shorewall firewall.
It's very easy to configure, and has taught me quite a bit about networking
and security.

Todd