Starting mysql and sendmail

Paul Lemmons Paul.Lemmons at tmcaz.com
Tue Aug 23 23:04:39 UTC 2005

By default, sendmail is setup to only allow connections from the local
box. So, you are "spam safe" in that regard.

To change sendmail configuration you go to /etc/mail and edit the
sendmail.mc file. Then do a make and a make install. Then a service
sendmail restart.

A real easy test of sendmail is to use the:

   mail somebody at localdomain.com

command. It will pretty much only work on your local domain, though,
unless your machine has both a DNS and Reverse DNS pointer on the
internet. Most places validate that the sender is "real" before
accepting email from them. They do this by looking at your IP address
and doing a reverse lookup on it. If it finds you, you are let in. If
not then your message is rejected.

You can look at the status of messages that have not been sent
successfully by issuing the "mailq" command.