Problems Installing FC4 iso on Windows

Parag Warudkar kernel-stuff at comcast.net
Wed Aug 24 01:15:09 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson <fedora <at> westexe.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Tell me about it.
>
> I found on my old machine that if I inserted a CD-RW at the right point
> of the bootup sequence, then when the BIOS tried looking for bootable
> media, the CD drive would still be spinning. The drive would then be
> able to provide the bootsector in time for the BIOS to use it...
>
> James.

My new Pioneer DVR-K05 refuses to let the machine boot from any cd/dvd - it is
too slow for the BIOS - It takes like 3-5 seconds of wait before it can provide
the BIOS with boot sector! It's a 2005 make. Good for me that the BIOS, after
disabling all other devices, goes in a loop to try and boot from CD drive -
which succeeds!

I replaced the OEM drive with this one - so either the BIOS wasn't tested with
any drive other than the one it originally ships with or the new drive is just
too slow. Given Pioneer's reputation I would think it is the former. Who knows...

Parag