CD eject won't work: "unable to eject, last error: Invalid argument"

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Aug 24 01:43:31 UTC 2005

Colin Brace wrote:

> Every so often Fedora stops letting me eject CDs:
>
> $ eject /dev/cdrom
> $ eject: unable to eject, last error: Invalid argument
>
> Why does this happen? I've seen both on my desktop as well as my
> laptop, and I saw it under FC3 and well as FC4. Nothing seems to solve
> it except straightening out a paperclip and ejecting the disk manually
> and rebooting. As far as HCI design goes, it is a worthless error
> message.

    Did you check that /dev/cdrom is pointing to the right device? or
that it hasn't been deleted?
    Did you try ejecting the CD by the device rather than the shortcut?
(i.e. eject /dev/hd? or /dev/sd? )

    If it doesn't work specifying the device, I would begin suspecting a
hardware problem, if the shortcut /dev/cdrom is missing or pointing to
the wrong device maybe a software problem? although if you have the same
problem on multiple machines seems to eliminate the hardware problem.

HTH
Scott